Potential Benefits Of Water Birth?
Benefits for Mother:
- Warm water is soothing, comforting, relaxing.
- In the later stages of labor, the water has been shown to increase the woman’s energy.
- The effect of buoyancy lessens a mother’s body weight, allowing free movement and new positioning.
- Buoyancy promotes more efficient uterine contractions and improved blood circulation resulting in better oxygenation of the uterine muscles, less pain for the mother, and more oxygen for the baby.
- Immersion in water often helps lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety.
- The water seems to reduce stress-related hormones, allowing the mother’s body to produce endorphins which serve as pain-inhibitors.
- Water causes the perineum to become more elastic and relaxed, reducing the incidence and severity of tearing and the need for an episiotomy and stitches.
- As the laboring women relaxes physically, she is able to relax mentally with greater ability to focus on the birth process.
- Since the water provides a greater sense of privacy, it can reduce inhibitions, anxiety, and fears.
Benefits for Baby:
- Provides an environment similar to the amniotic sac.
- Eases the stress of the birth thus increasing reassurance and sense of security.
Water birth is the process of giving birth in a tub of warm water and it has many potential benefits for both baby and mother.The relaxing effect of water, with its support and warmth, can help you through your labour. Your contractions may lose their rhythm if you become tense. This means that your labour may stop and start without moving on. Being bathed in water is likely to help you go with your contractions in active labour, so that they are less stressful for you and your baby.